Whether you’re after a pasta sauce, salad dressing or sandwich spread, fresh basil pesto is hard to beat. Below you’ll find a classic pesto recipe, with a twist: the addition of Healthy Oil – 100% avocado oil – gives this kitchen essential an added boost of vitamin E.
You will need:
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cups basil leaves
- ¾ cup Healthy Oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Dry-fry pine nuts in a pan on medium-low heat, stirring regularly, until golden brown. Cool.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add Parmesan and garlic, and pulse until ground.
- Add basil, and turn the processor on. With the lid on, slowly and consistently pour in Healthy Oil until the pesto is smooth.
- Season with salt
- Spread on a sandwich or store in the fridge in an airtight container – top up with a drizzle of Healthy Oil to prevent oxidation – for up to one week.