No need to discard those leafy green tops when you’re done slicing carrots – use them to whip up a healthy, waste-free pesto instead. The addition of spinach balances out any bitterness, Soilmates Extra Virgin Avocado oil enhances the natural earthy flavour, while walnuts and parmesan will leave you with a thick, creamy paste. Dilute with Healthy Oil (a bonus hit of vitamin E!) and enjoy as a dip for veggie crudités, toss with salad, stir into pasta, or spread on a slice of crusty bread.
Makes: 1 jar
You will need:
- Carrot tops from 1 large bunch of carrots
- 120g spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 25g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 25g parmesan cheese, grated
- 30ml fresh lemon juice
- A generous amount of pepper
- 30ml Soilmates Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 45ml Soilmates Healthy Oil
- Salt to taste
- Prepare your carrot tops by separating the stems from the leaves. Place leaves in a pot of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes or until tender and bright green in colour.
- Strain, and add to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain and wring as much excess liquid out of carrot tops as possible. Set aside and let dry.
- Add carrot tops, spinach, garlic, walnuts, parmesan, lemon juice, pepper and Soilmates Extra Virgin Avocado Oil to a food processor. Blend until a thick paste forms, while gradually adding in Healthy Oil. Scrape down the sides every now and then. If it’s too thick for your liking, add more Healthy Oil.
- Season with salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Enjoy straight away, or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week.
Are you a big fan of fighting food waste? Well then, you’ll be glad to hear Soilmates make avocado oil entirely from rescued ‘ugly’ avocados. Find out more here.